Friday, September 29, 2017

A Collection Handed Down: The Greatest Gift Ever Bestowed

I believe I mentioned in an earlier post about visiting my wife's grandparents and looking through a card binder with her Papa. I guess he really must have enjoyed sharing his cards with me because he sent me a full binder he called his "money book." I am in shock and speechless about the whole thing. Ever since I started collecting even as a kid I pictured being able to hand down my collection to my kids or grand kids. I never expected to be on the receiving end of such a transaction. The binder contains Detroit Tigers yearbooks, 8x10's, and pages of vintage cards. I will share some of it on this post. The binder will then be locked up in my safe and only pulled out for me and my son to flip through when we are feeling nostalgic or I have to bait him into the hobby when hes a bit older. He will ultimately end up with the binder in its current condition when he is old enough to appreciate it so probably 25 years from now. Here is a small, tiny, barely illustrating the greatness peek into the "money binder."








  Jim Northrup. Sweet windbreaker!

Mike Henneman with old Tiger Stadium in the background.

Unmistakable Walt Terrell's mustache.

Mr. Tiger

My first Pete Rose piece.

This masterpiece may be slipped out of the binder to be certified and maybe framed to protect it.


Add caption






Just one of the many ICONIC cards.


These minis are really cool.


I don't know why Topps seems to celebrate their ugly '87 wood trim set so often with reprints when the 1972 set is so amazing to look at.


A couple great managers in their early years.

1 comment:

  1. I need to hunt down the 87 Yearbook! Papa's collection was well cared for and meant for safe-keeping. He made the best decision when handing down to you, keeping them in the family!

    ReplyDelete