Monday, September 4, 2017

Card Show Spoils, Willie Horton Appearance

Detroit Tigers Legend Willie Horton made an appearance at a local card show and I was lucky enough to get a tiny chunk of time to go see him. I got a couple autographs, 2 for me because I couldn't decide on which card and one for my brother. I watched him sign and his signature was very strange. Instead of one fluid motion for first and last name, he signs a little of the first then throws in the big curve to the right then proceeds. Definitely doesn't look like what his supposed signature on the card below looks like.
I should have went home after that since that was the plan I told my wife but there was a hint of musty wax in the air and I followed my nose to a table of dime boxes and then nickel boxes. An hour and 276 cards later I was running for the door trying to come up with a story for my wife for my tardiness. Here are the spoils from the boxes which ended up being way cheaper with bulk deals. I didn't pay more than 5 cents for any of the cards and the nickel ones were even cheaper. I'll start with the other Horton autos.


Thanks Tom! The Angels, In Order.

I found a lot of Rey Ordonez!

I found this whole set of AL players. Palmiero and Buhner are not pictured.



Chapman for a couple pennies? Sure.


A bunch of PC guys from this Circa set.

Rainbow foil Rasmus.


I have only a handful of this set from my early years. It was my first run in with framed cards and I loved them. I pick them up from dimeboxes no matter who the player is.



This card for 3 cents in top loader condition?! Why not

I don't like the title "Late Bloomers" especially for Hall of Fame door knockers but these cards are cool looking.


The best part of digging in old boxes is the names you find. Randall Simon is a name I hadn't heard in forever and I was a big fan of his. He had some pop for sure.

Another Nolan to collect.

Two versions of Cal. Guillen RC that would cost you $2 at any other table in Detroit.

El Duque was the man.

This Magglio RC must have hidden itself from the owner as well. Kerry Wood and Todd Helton RC's for pennies!

Grand Slammer Fernando Tatis.


Some kids I had yet to have cards of.

If Delino Jr. ever figures it out at the plate; watch out.


Another Rey to add to the PC.

I can't pass up silver sigs. Ever.

This is the card on the top of my list. This guy's numbers in the minors are sick. He will be something special, mark my words. Invest now.

Thats about as cool as a Tim Salmon card gets.





Some Tig's.

Before they were stars.

The background on these is awesome.


NOW TO THE VINTAGE:





Spaceman!




I have more Dodger collecting trade partners than any other team so I always try to pick up some cheap vintage Dodgers whenever I see a deal. I have no clue who any of them are but figure I would be happy to get any pre-1980's Tiger cards so my Dodger dudes probably feel the same way.

I always try to grab some wax. This was $3. Can't beat that opening packs for $6 and not getting the whole set.



I've started cutting blister boxes in half and labeling them with my trade partners and their likes to help me sort. When the box fills, it ships. Works for me so far. As soon as I get some extra cash to ship that is.

I had the chance to visit my wife's grandparents yesterday and had forgotten her grandfather collected cards. He let me look through a book of old Tiger cards and it was awesome. You never know who you get to share in cardboard hoarding with. Definitely the highlight of a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I like that circa set - definitely a cousin of '95 Fleer.

    Cool idea with the boxes per trade partner. Right now I just throw cards in a box sorted by team, but it's definitely more personal the way you do it.

    ReplyDelete