Monday, October 2, 2017

Two TTM Returns


I had two quick turn-around returns this week. Will Clark and Sage Steele! I collected a lot of Will Clark cards as a kid and tried to be him in the backyard when he was on that killer Texas Rangers team in the '90s. I enjoy Sage Steele on TV and had never sent to any ESPN people before so I gave it a shot and was successful. I like that she added "ESPN" to the signature.

TTM Abusers Beware: I hate you.

I belong to a number of TTM autograph facebook groups where people share their successes and failures. -Warning: I am climbing up on the soap box.- It astounds me how many people will send a stack of cards to get signed. What is the point? It would seem they are just going to sell them first and foremost. Now, I am sure some people hoard them and others trade them but I think it is terribly inappropriate. Multiple posts this week said their returns came with notes asking to limit their cards to 2 per person. No shit! Why would you think you deserve more than one?! My thought is I am lucky enough to have someone who receives fan mail by the pound even open my envelope let alone take the time to sign something and send it back. I know, I know you are thinking 'ugh get off  your high horse, you racked Jack Morris you douche.' That is true, but it was in person, he was bored with no one in line and I gave away all but 3 of those cards. It just it worries me for the hobby when I see a nice gesture abused. I always try to pick a card that represents that player or celebrity best for me and I am happy with that. A long time ago I would send 2 cards with a note telling the athlete to please sign one for me and keep the other and give it to a kid at their next game. I don't think that ever happened as nobody actually has time to read the letters they are sent. I either received both cards back signed or nothing. I have since stopped doing that. All I need is one card if I am sending through the mail for my collection and I only send to people who I admire and collect. It makes me sick when I see people post Bobby Doerr and Brooks Robinson returns of 5 or 6 cards. Leave those guys alone you greedy bastards, 90% of you have never seen those guys play or know anything about them other than they are almost automatic returns. Sometimes I can't believe anybody even signs through the mail anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I don't love when stacks are sent. If I send more than two, I always offer some to the player to keep. Many times they do. Sometimes they just sign them all and return them...but I always offer.

    ReplyDelete