Sunday, November 12, 2017

Facebook Trials and Tribulations of Trading, A Penny Sleeve for your Contest

Contest Alert!

The phrase "Black Friday" still sends chills down my spine after 15 years of being in retail management in some of the crazier businesses (Toys R Us, Dicks Sporting Goods). Thank god that is over, I've seen some stuff man. Nonetheless, Jon who runs one of the great card blogs of our time is running a contest for the evil holiday. His blog is found at https://pennysleevethoughts.blogspot.com/ and if you are at all familiar with COMC you will want to hop on this contest. Honestly, I love doing contests and giving away stuff but I don't think I could part with credit from that site. Jon must be a better man than I!



Facebook Trades. Ugh.


Facebook could be such a great resource to benefit the card world but the general population is uneducated and scary so I caution anyone from trying to kick up some trade interest on the site. I have bought things from sellers, traded, and involved myself in Razz's and Breaks on Facebook that have gone well but there is always those crazies that leave a bad taste in your mouth.
In my last post I showed a Cody Bellinger card I had pulled in a HOT pack of Topps Update. I had no idea it was an SP. When I found out, I posted it along with a couple other cards in a collecting group on Facebook asking for Tigers cards or Canseco. Here is what resulted...
Ten guys commented or PM'ed me about the Bellinger card. Four of the ten actually wanted to trade and offered as little as possible for it and tried to shame me or talked down the value of the card to get me to agree. "Yes, that 2017 Chrome Verlander common is a great card, not what I am looking for though." Now, I know its a $6 or $7 card all day. For people to not even offer $3 worth of value in exchange is annoying.
Even more annoying is the other 6 PM's I received that said something along the lines of "Hey I have Tigers you can buy. $20 shipped paypal. Let me know." I think 2 of those messages would be laughable but 6?! It just illustrates the down side of the recent popularity in the hobby. "Investors" are killing me.
Lucky for me I was able to work out a deal with a Yankees collector for a handful of stuff for a bucket full of Tigers stuff. Now hopefully he actually sends his part.

What?!

I feel like I post a lot of negative stuff. I hope it balances out, there is enough negative crap everywhere. If you want a good laugh though; my cat barfed on a box I was sorting that I was going to put into top loaders. Luckily the cards had penny sleeves and none of them were ruined but a lot of sleeves got tossed and the box. He has great aim.

Stay Tuned!

I made a very large (for me at least) purchase of a single vintage card that should arrive tomorrow. Its pretty sweet. Stay tuned for my next post all about it!

4 comments:

  1. Don’t know if my cats would survive if they did that to my cards. Haven’t tried the trading on Facebook thing, looks like I am not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t know if my cats would survive if they did that to my cards. Haven’t tried the trading on Facebook thing, looks like I am not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story of trying to trade on Facebook, sounds a lot like my first couple of attempts to trade on the Sports Card Forum. Those attempts left me with such a sour taste, that now when it comes to trading, I only deal with other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your cat doesn't chew on your cards...my dog did when she was a puppy.

    ReplyDelete