Saturday, March 24, 2018

Night Owl Sighting and a Birthday Weekend Card Show

Night Owl Drops a Pellet Full of Goodness

Night Owl Cards is one of my favorite blogs to follow. I find the writing very relatable and share many of the opinions Greg has on the hobby. This week I was surprised by a thank you package from the card hooter that contained some sweet stuff. Thank you Night Owl!



Always need these. Its awesome when I get a stack of them.

What a year for the Tigers team set. Look at that talent!

Some harder to find PC cards I needed.


Reg and Sparkly!

I needed that Stadium Club RC bad!

PC Dudes

The Hometown Heroes team set


I've busted a lot of packs for this card. Thankfully I can stop wasting money now.

PC and Tiger players from my personal "dead era" of collecting. I have barely anything from 1999-2003.

Take a closer look at Jonesy. Wow. The trainer ran out of peroxide that day.


St. Patrick's Card Show

I was born on St. Patrick's day. I like to think that makes me a little luckier than most but I do have to field the "Oh man, you must have crazy birthdays" comments when alcoholics find out. I have never done a pub crawl or gotten sloppy on my birthday but I always have fun. This past birthday I hit up the local card show the day after. I got to meet Dennis from Too Many Verlanders as I posted earlier and got to spend some pocket change. Here's the haul:


I have been craving some 1993 Fun Pack for a few months now. So finding 1994 for $7 helped a little. The 1993-1996 era of cards was my wheelhouse. It was so much fun to break but about 30 seconds in I felt guilty keeping it to myself. This box is meant to be opened with a kid. There are so many packs, interactive cards, and the colors and names are amazing. I am going to buy up some more of this to bust with Nolan in about 10 years.








Look at these names. Soaked in nostalgia.


Where did heat activated cards go? Maybe the gov't bought the technology.

My other big purchase (by size not price) was a box of 1990 Topps Traded for $3, The Nolan Ryan express set for $2 so maybe I'll stop buying them from dimeboxes...maybe, and a binder. The binder was $2 and inside is the complete set of 1992 fleer with prospects and provisions!




From there I hit the singles boxes. The nickel box had not been refilled so I settle for dime, quarter and dollar.

/499

/99

Never pass a good Griffey for cheap, its easy trade bait all day





Can't pass up another Tino RC for pennies

Nice refractor and Flair RC

I have a not so PC, PC collection of Longoria. I respect the guys game for sure. Plus, two cards stuffed into one toploader for a quarter isn't bad.

I have this somewhere but can't find it.

Yup

Super cool Story RC.

Rarish Rocket cards.

More Jimmy

Signed Weaver card? Yes please! He was our "ace" for a while.

I love this set.

Do you think the photographer in the photo was mad that the photographer of this card stole this shot and it turned out cooler than his idea?

Like it says "gold".

Yup. Centered cards be damned. This card is sweet.

Love it

The start of a complete silver signature checklist set.

Wonder when that was written?


Numbered Kapler from the early years of numbered cards.

Cha.

Die Cuts

Numbered Thome, you bet!


When prizms really popped!






7 comments:

  1. That's an awesome haul, happy belated birthday! I need to get some more of Jordan's baseball issues. I have a couple I got in the 90s but there's still a lot more I could get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Todd Jones card has always freaked me out, I don't know what dudes are doing when they break out the peroxide.

    P.S.: I have no idea where I was when Topps was issuing Jenny McCarthy cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a basketball card. Its the second I have of her that is basketball. I'm not sure what the connection is, if any.

      Delete
  3. Wow, a '94 Fun Pack box for $7? I would've scooped that up in a heartbeat. I don't see singles from that set too often, much less whole boxes. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The next time I want to complain about part of a letter of the player name being hidden on this year's flagship, I will just remember that Fun Pack card pairing Tim Salmon with that great power hitting catcher, Ike Azza.

    A basketball card of Jenny McCarthy. There is so much about this hobby I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang that 1981 Fleer Kirk Gibson and 1997 Bowman Kerry Wood sure stirs up memories. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete