Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I Am NOT A Set Builder, Opening Day, New Stuff From Different Sources

1987 Topps

When the Tiger's opener was rained out the first day I decided to sit down and build a set. This is my first time ever really trying to put together a set by hand. Back in 2006 I collected a lot of Topps in order to make a set but never did. I AM NOT A SET BUILDER. I do not have the stamina for it, physically or mentally. I texted Papa Jack to show him I was building a set like he used to. Ten minutes later I texted him that my back and arms were killing me and he texted back "Wussy."
I still haven't completed the build and even though I have thousands of these cards I am still missing random singles here and there. Something to look forward to hunting down and card shows I guess. I don't see myself ever hand collating another set. Ever.



I posted on Twitter but will reiterate here: Has anyone ever tried, or heard of anyone who has tried putting together an all gum stain set? I have lots I can help out with if someone is brave or bored enough!

 

 

Opening Day

I took Nolan to his first opening day. It was cold. I had the best seats I have ever had for an opener right behind the left field pole. It was still a little far for a 3 year old to appreciate the game. He had a blast on the carousel and the fireworks and fly over for the national anthem was his favorite part. First pitch was 1:10pm, we were home by 2:10pm. Still was a great day. The game itself went extras and the Tigers finally coughed it up. Gardy got thrown out arguing, no doubt trying to win over some fans since they won't win games. MLB came out and said the overturned call via replay that cost the Tigers the game was overturned in error. I don't know why they would admit that let alone announce it. How does that happen after watching a play over and over for ten minutes?! Then you overturn it?! Such an error at most jobs I know of would cost the person their employment. I hope heads rolled for this but I doubt it since it wasn't a Yankees game.
Some new things at Comerica Park I noticed:
1. Shot Clock - They ran a 25 second clock for pitches but I don't think any umpire or anyone else ever looked at it. It didn't even start/end at the correct times.
2. MVR- Mound visits remaining. I had no idea what it was on the pitching stats board. I thought it was some kind of movement measurement for pitch break. I was like "that curveball registered a MVR of 6?"
3. Screens!- Good lord the game has been ruined. Guys all wearing helmets from midieval times is one thing but the screens have to go. You can't get signatures before games other than a 10 foot space at the beginning of the dug out by the backstop that you know was smothered with fat ass "rackers" who won't let anybody else in. The worst part is I usually buy really good tickets for one game a season to take pictures. The netting ruins that. They should have just made a no kids section and had people sign an "I won't be an idiot on my phone / sit here at own risk" wavers for those sections. The netting sucks so bad I don't know if I will attend another game. I might as well watch from home instead of through nylon.

Repping the Tigs for Easter!

'Twas cold!


Our view.



Trying to keep him awake on the ride home. He probably walked 30 miles in 3 year old steps.

 New Stuff

I finally received a trade offer on The Trading Card Database. It was nothing big but I needed to get one under my belt to figure out how it works. Luckily, Akenyon1 is a veteran of trading on the site and we swapped some junk. I got his cards today PWE and I sent mine bubble mailer just because I added a little extra to the package and wouldn't you know its stuck in USPS land and his came right to me. Well, thank goodness I stepped up the shipping so we can at least watch it bounce around via tracking. Here are the two cards I got from him today:

I thought this Thames card looked sweet.

Best provision card ever.


Here are some other recent pick ups:




/49

/25

/199


/10000 Been wanting this one for a loooonnnnnggggg time!

/30 I've never seen another one of these.

Who? I got this card through a case break my brother and I went halfsies on for 2018 Gypsy Queen buying the Tigers. For one case we ended up with 5 full team sets, a few extras, and a Jordan Zimmermann no team variation card. The breaker Jaggbreaks threw in this McVaney card luckily so we could flip a coin for who got what hit.

This is not a mistake double pic. I hopped into another Hobby Legends 2 case 2018 Donruss player break and only bought JJ. It netted me one card that I had already bought secondhand.Still looking for the numbered version.

Randomly on facebook some chick who lives by me posted two uncut sheets of cards for $15. I jumped on it and brought these babies home. Tramm and Ryno looking good on the first sheet.

Tony Gwynn hanging out on the second sheet. I haven't opened them up fully yet.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure the 1987 Topps set was my first hand collated completed set. Love the design and the nostalgic feel I get when I flip through the singles. As for gum stained cards... believe it or not, I'm actually looking for a 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn with a gum stain. I just think it'd be neat to own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your son is adorable!! what a great memory to share. i wondered how the new netting would affect the view. i always spend the money for seats on the baselines. the closer i am to the field, the happier! the tigers arent the good at signing before games but i always try. sounds like that is ruined for sincere collectors. i was hoping the net was somewhat 'retractable', lifting at game time but apparently live in my own universe. great pickup on the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "First pitch was 1:10pm, we were home by 2:10pm." That's just great. Some days I wish I had a son to do exactly what you just experienced. I wouldn't mind being home so early if I knew I was making memories and raising him as a baseball fan. Good for you!
    Oh and yes... Papa Jack is right... "wussy." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete