Tuesday, August 15, 2017

THE PROBLEM WITH JUNK WAX IS...box break 1993 Donruss

The Problem with Junk Wax is: The Sticky-ickies! 

I consider 1993 Junk Wax era, and I love it!

Now,  I don't know when the "junk wax" era starts and ends exactly. I consider it on a case by case basis and 1993 Donruss would fall into that category for me. I can tell you one of the biggest problems I find with these cards is not the lack of value or of what we would consider hits in today's packs. The problem is a card illness I call the sticky-ickies. The sticky-ickies is a title my 2 year old son helped me come up with for literal bricks of cards that can't be separated cleanly. I recently found a good heap of cards at garage sales for good prices and also bought a sealed case of 1993 Donruss Series One at a card show. Half of the garage sale cards went straight to the trash as one solid hunk of junk wax and even in the sealed case, some of the cards I was looking forward to most were stuck together, ruining the surface of the card. In either case its an all out game of chance as to whether or not they have been stored decently. In both cases with my recent buys they were stored somewhere probably damp and also hot, this is Michigan for God's sake. It can be 30 degrees Tuesday and 88 Wednesday. Not ideal for cars, houses, and baseball cards. I am sure the sticky-ickies is not just a junk wax era cancer and that our modern cards will probably form the same issues when not stored carefully. If anybody knows cures for this issue please enlighten me! I think if this box of Donruss had been left in such heat and pressure much longer it may have become a diamond.

Lets Open this Gem!

The cards were pretty basic and the photography was too. There were a few inserts to chase in this set and some say you can find an "elite" numbered card in these boxes but I may as well look for bigfoot. Here are the stars of the time:
The Canseco and Martinez surfaces were ruined by the sticky-ickies. Some of these guys weren't stars quite yet. Check out the Buccs uni on Zane Smith. Wish I would have pulled the case Nolan Ryan and Cecil Fielder but I already have them anyway.

Let's see some inserts:

Diamond Kings as beautiful as ever. And two of my fav's!


Spirit of the Game front and back. Two fav's here too with Fielder and Alomar.

I had a lot of dupes but these Bud Black cards came in the same pack. I ended up with 7 or 8 Biggio base cards too.


Rookies! The meat and potatoes of Junk Wax boxes:


Some real studs debuted their RCs in 1993. I remember chasing the Piazza and Salmon from this set. I pulled 2 Piazza and 2 Boone from this box.

4 comments:

  1. The first boxes I ever opened were 93 Donruss. I bought a slew of them hoping to pull an Elite. The photography isn’t always the best but I have fond memories of these clean white-bordered cards. I almost purchased this exact box at the Gibraltar show over the weekend but made myself move along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just completed this set in the last couple weeks! Not from packs though. I call 'em snowstorms since it leaves white spots on the pictures.

    ReplyDelete