Monday, July 17, 2017

Card Collecting CONTEST Question #1: What if...

Why not have a contest, eh? I often think about the state of the hobby and a ton of "what ifs" pop into my mind. I wonder what everyone else thinks. If this catches on I may start to blow your mind often with goofy questions like this one...

 

 What if the internet was invented 10 years sooner? 


Here is a little brain teaser to help you daydream about cards for a while (as if we don't already). What if the internet was around in the late 80's to early 90's? Now I know it was "invented" in 1983 and progressed from there. I mean how it is today; everywhere. What would your collection look like if ebay debuted in 1984? Would you be a millionaire from hot wax pulls? What would the hobby itself even look like? Now, before this looks too much like a 10th grade history class essay question, here are some of my thoughts without getting too far into this.

I don't think I would have a Cecil Fielder, Jose Canseco, and Nolan Ryan collection like I do today. I would have been too young to afford cards of those guys. On the other hand, I could have traded world wide and not just with my brother. I am assuming card companies would have progressed faster and more serial numbered, relic, and auto cards would exist so all those players would have relics and autos that I wouldn't have been able to afford. I also assume card companies would have exploited the collector with ridiculous 1/1 cards and digital daily cards way sooner. You almost have to look into the current future because everything would have advanced 10 years. What will collecting look like in 10 years? But that is a whole 'nother question for another time.


CONTEST

Think about the question and give me a few thoughts in the comments. I'll send the best one something cool. Contest ends 07/23/2017 at 12pm EST. Check back after this time to see if you won. Winner please click my contact info and email me your favorite player/team and address if I don't already have your email address. Good Luck.

Images stolen from Google search because, well, the internet let me do it.

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting, although I would have been too young to do anything with it in the '80s. I'd like to think I did a decent job using the internet to score cards as a 13 year old back in 1997. There were AOL newsgroups where I really started buying cards. These were very minor transactions, but when a new Tino came out, often I sent a seller a few coins - maybe $.50 and a SASE to the seller, and he'd send the card back. I also belonged to some collector auctions where they sent weekly emails with auction listings - a few hundred cards in each - and you'd email your bids back. I always remember bidding on no more than 4 cards because then I'd have to pay more to ship than just a a SASE. I'd often win four cards for $.10 each, and then mail 4 dimes and a SASE.

    Anyways, I actually think the internet back in '80s would have driven down the prices of the Mattinglys and Consecos and Strawberrys because these cards would have been more available to the masses versus just at LCS and shows. Maybe I'm wrong, but just a hunch...although by that logic, Judge cards should be cheaper today, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to kick it off! I never got into any of that in the 90's. Sounds like I missed out.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul,

    As you know, you and I are actively trading now, so don't include me in the contest. I would rather someone else win, but I want to drop a few lines about your question.

    I started collecting right as the junk wax era was at it's hottest, Mickey Mantle was still the holy grail of cardboard, and vintage was an acquired taste.
    If the internet was at the level it is today, I don't think it would have made much of a difference in my collection. The biggest reason is back in those days I lived close to one of the biggest (twice weekly) card shows around. I could just drop by the show and shop for cards, packs, boxes, supplies, etc anytime, and I did.
    I really don't like to buy stuff on the net for my collection, but I have taken advantage of our blogger community to expand and refine it. However, I doubt I would have blogged back then as I do now. Back then I wasn't interested in writing, and everything I wanted for my collection was a ten minute drive away.
    I sure do miss those days. Ha! Cardboard nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete