Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The Zenith, nay, The Pinnacle, nay, The Crescendo of my Autograph Collection! 13 Years in the Making

I call her "Mt. Rushmore '06"

13 YEARS. Early into the 2006 season the Tigers were looking good, already. I showed up early to a game and to shag fouls and take pictures of the guys taking BP. For one split second Justin Verlander, Magglio Ordonez, and Jim Leyland shared a joke in deep right field and I snapped my then 35mm Nikon camera capturing the moment above. I was smart enough to have an 8X10 printed soon after because I then lost the film. This pic is definitely a 1/1. I took it. Maybe it can be photo copied but not ever printed again. I was lucky enough to see Justin Verlander at Tigerfest in 2007. I had him sign this picture. For the longest time I cherished this trophy as the best Verlander piece in my collection. I took it to every Tigerfest after that and even to some games trying to add some ink to it but was not successful until this past Tigerfest in 2019 when I had Jim Leyland add his scribble. Then, as if god himself called Venezuela to ask Magglio to come to a barely thawed Michigan; a public signing 2 miles from my house popped up. A smiling Maggs stared at the photo after he signed it for a good 45 seconds. I could see it brought some kind of memory into his mind. My photo is complete. My favorite, priceless piece to stay in my collection forever.


My Big Break


I don't know what got into me but I bought into a very expensive (for me) spot in a Hobby Legends 6 case player break. I snagged the Christin Stewart spot probably in a nostalgic need to feel the days of hitting JaCoby Jones RC's in online breaks. Above is my haul from the break. 108 base rookie cards, dual relic /49, dual relic auto, framed RC, Auto /99, Auto /49 and a base auto. I am pretty happy with this. Of course just as I paid for the break the 1/1 from the set popped up on ebay. Stewart has been impressive. I hope he really blossoms and stays a Tiger. Both rare things nowadays.


Pistons Legend Auto



I should have posted this long ago. A few weeks ago I won a free auto at a local Rip Hamilton signing that was put on by the same company that did the Magglio one. I bought this poster from them to get signed. 


Recent Additions

I made a trade with @B_Litch88 on twitter for the next four cards .

The ole ebay 1/1. I LOVE THIS CARD!

I just moved a Robles auto out of $ necessity and low and behold I got one back. 

Hi Tek RC's are awesome. I am a sucker for acetate cards. 

Kopech has been talked about for a long time. I hope he's the next Clemens.


This package is a TCDB trade that was supposed to be only the Stewart but this fine trader sent me a bunch of other wants. The guys on that site are so awesome.

This is the card I bought with the ebay $3 coupon last month that showed up the first time requesting $3 in shipping as the seller didn't package right. I refused it and it supposedly took FOREVER to get back to him then he went on vacation and finally sent it to me correctly. Ebay sucks even when you do everything right as a buyer or seller. Its just the worst and people are terrible.
The Jones is an ebay purchase because I fell to #2 on the site for his cards. Stupid move as it is labeled "Rally Goose" and not a JJ card on the site. The other three are from a trade. 

Another trade pickup. Maybe he'll have a signing sometime. I like his defense. 

Deals, Deals, Deals. Buy one, get one 50% off at Meijer.

Bought all this for a good price. Didn't pull much.

 

The 2 numbered cards in the haul.

Notable RC's from the purchase. 
Pretty happy with this BUNT pull even though its just pixels.



My Boy Started Tee Ball 


The good news is my son is only 4 but is bigger than half the 5 and 6 year olds on his ball team. The bad news is I am an assistant coach and our team is the Braves.


Free Baseball

The woman I gave a free ticket to Tigerfest to gave me 2 tickets to the Tigers v. Royals game. I ended up going solo. It was a new experience being there alone. It was fun. I HATE the screens. Even in batting practice I can no longer get decent, sharp images because of those dumb ass screens. 
Billy Hamilton always has fun.

Stewie Launching.

I will let you in on a little secret. I watched Ryan O'Hearn take BP and the crack sounds different off his bat. He has such crazy pop. Made Lucas Duda look like the rookie in the group. In his last round he hit a homer to left, right and dead center effortlessly. 


Juuuuust a bit foul.



Just close your eyes and swing big man.





Card Show

The four cards below I pulled from a table I never spend time at at my local show. It is always just shoe boxes stacked and tossed on a table. Nothing priced or organized. I don't know why I even stopped there but I did and pulled these out, threw them down and said "How much?" The guy grabbed them and said "Rice Hoskins? Never heard of him. $1 for Sisco and Hoskins, $2 for Fielder and Salmon." I literally had a ten in my hand hoping to take all 4 for $10. I guess that table should be my first stop next time.





16 comments:

  1. There is basically too much here for me to comment on, so I'll just say that you've been getting some really neat stuff as of late. And yes eBay is terrible, and it seems to be getting worse with every passing month. We as collector's really do need a new auction site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, sometimes when I get the opportunity to build a post it ends up Blog Barf of too many topics. Someday a new auction site will emerge designed for us, by us.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the signed photo.. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black and white photo is the best. I'm not sure who that is, but it's a sharp looking snapshot.
    Big congratulations on getting the third and final auto on your picture. Isn't it beyond cool when a player looks at an item they have been handed to sign and just sits there and pauses for 30 seconds or so? When Maggs did that you must have been on Cloud 9. Again, congrats!
    Oh, and assistant coach? Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B&W is Nick Castellanos. Better get to know him he will be shipping out of Detroit come the trade deadline so he could be coming to a ballpark near you. Assistant coach allows me to not be 100% responsible for everybody's kid yet I can still judge the parents and constantly tell the actual coach what he is doing wrong. Lol

      Delete
  4. the photo is amazing, congrats on this coup! I hate those screens too, by the way. As far as the fellow with the disorganized boxes - always go there. As you now know, he practically gives stuff away. It can sometimes be difficult to get a spot there because he is a popular stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he just buys collections and looks for what he wants and unloads the rest. It kills me from a retail background to watch him sit and read the paper when he could do the smallest amount of sorting or research and increase his profit tenfold.

      Delete
    2. He is an odd man indeed. I needed 88 cards to finish my 1993 Finest set, many were the green stars with the biggest being Nolan Ryan and Ripken. He'd just busted up a set and sold them all to me for...........$22. 22 dollars for the price of one star card. I hadn't planned to go next month but will try to get there Saturday since I have a stack (small box) of cards for you. I'll let you know that Friday. :)

      Delete
  5. Lots of excellent stuff here. Best of luck this tee ball season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much but I toss up posts when I can. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. That photograph is sweet! The fact that you added all three guys' signatures is even sweeter! I remember being in Dennis' YT pack break room and you mentioning the high price of Ordonez's signature... but now I realize why it was worth every single penny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting all three guys to sign the photo! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its crazy how fast the opportunities dry up when a guy retires or leaves town.

      Delete
  8. Great lot of cards!! I really like that Salmon auto. A 90's player that was very underrated!

    ReplyDelete